The China/UNESCO – the Great Wall Fellowship scheme is a full scholarship scheme set up by the Ministry of Education of China (hereinafter referred to as MOEC) for candidates recommended by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).The MOEC entrusts China Scholarship Council (hereinafter referred to as CSC) to handle the enrollment of international students and carry out the routine management of this scholarship program.
I. Categories of Enrollment and Duration of Scholarship
This scheme sponsors general scholars and senior scholars. Remedial Chinese Language Courses are arranged before professional study for applicants who do not speak Chinese. Where English can be directly applied for the major selected by the applicant, Remedial Chinese Language Courses will not be arranged. The duration of scholarship is the period of study confirmed at the time of permission and shall not exceed 2 years.
II. Application Procedures and Time
Applicants shall apply to the UNESCO National Commission in their home countries from the beginning of January to mid April.
III. Eligibility of Applicant
1. Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens in good health.
2. Education background and age limit for the applicant:
(1) Applicants for general scholars must have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies and be under the age of 45;
(2) Applicants for senior scholars must have master or higher degree or hold academic title of associate professor or higher and be under the age of 50.
IV. Contents and Standards of the Scholarship
1. Exempt from registration fee, tuition fee, fee for basic learning materials and accommodation on campus;
2. Medical service at public expense as Chinese students;
3. Monthly allowance is provided at the following rates (RMB per month);
(1) General scholars RMB1,100
(2) Senior scholars: RMB1,400
4. One-off settlement subsidy upon arrival in China is provided according to the following standard:
a. RMB300 for students who will study in China for six months
b. RMB600 for students who will study in China for one year
V. Application Materials
The applicants must fill in and provide the following materials truly and correctly:
1. The China/UNESCO – the Great Wall Fellowship (printed by CSC) in duplicate, filled in Chinese or in English.
2. Highest diploma (notarized).If applicants are university students or already employed, they shall also provide studying certificates or employment documents. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with translations in Chinese or English.
3. Transcripts (notarized); transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with translations in Chinese or English.
4. Applicants for senior scholars must submit two letters of recommendation in English by professors or associate professors.
5. Applicants for music programs are requested to submit one CD recording of the applicants’ own work. Applicants for fine arts programs must submit 6 color photos of the applicants’ own work (including two sketches, two color paintings and two other works).
6. A study or research plan in Chinese or in English (no less than 400 words).
7. Photocopy of Physical Examination Record for Foreigner (printed by the Chinese quarantine authority) filled in English
The medical examinations must cover all the items listed in the Physical Examination Record for Foreigner. Incomplete records or those without the seal on the perforation or a sealed photograph of the applicants are invalid. The medical examination results are valid for 6 months. Please confirm the time when the medical examination is taken.
The above materials should reach the CSC by April 30, 2002 via the UNESCO National Commission in the applicant’s home country. Individual applications will not be accepted by the CSC.
VI. Choice of Institutions of Higher Education and Major
Applicants may choose one academic program and three institutions as personal preferences from the 88 Chinese higher education institutions designated by the MOEC. Please check the Directory of Chinese Higher Institutions Admitting International Students under Chinese Government Scholarship Program & Academic Programs or the website of CSC (http://www.csc.edu.cn/), and fill in the university and major in strict accordance with the list thereunder.
VII. Enrollment and Notification
CSC will review all the application materials from the appointed authorities and CSC is authorized to make necessary adjustments on the applied institutions, academic programs and duration of study. The qualified applications will be forwarded to institutions with reference to their preferences and the final decision whether to admit the applicants or not will be made by them. If the applicant has contacted with and has been accepted by competent institution prior to application, the applicant is required to enclose relevant certificates to facilitate the CSC entrust admission to competent institution.
Where the conditions of the applicants do not satisfy the enrollment provisions or the application materials are incomplete, the applications will not be processed.
Scholarship applicants accepted by Chinese institutions of higher education will be officially awarded the China/UNESCO – the Great Wall Fellowship upon approval of the MOEC.
The CSC will send the List of Accepted Students, Admission Notice and Visa Application Form for Study in China (Statement JW201) to the HQ of the UNESCO by July 31.
VIII. Contact way of the Department for Coming to China, Secretariat, China Scholarship Council
Address: No. 160, Fuxingmennei Dajie, Beijing, China, 100031
Tel: 0086-10-66413253, 66413132